Home | Gallery | Forum | Ads TODAYSTRACTORS.COM
Today's TractorsThe Modern Tractor Resource Page

Featured Photo

Click to View

The Market
Tractor Parts
Older Parts
Tractor Manuals
Classified Ads

Discussion Forum
Forum Archives
Tractor Photos
Implement Photos
Combine Photos
Model Profiles
Safety Issues
Reading Room

Contact Us

Discussion Forum

Topic: Re: Re: Case 580 SE, What type of hydrolic fluid
[Show Entire Topic] [Return to Forum]

Author [expand] [Modern View]

12-30-2000 13:21:07

Report to Moderator

If you don't mind I would appreciate it if you could look it up , this machine is a 1986. I got under the machine and looked at the drive shaft where it enters the rear end and there is a little play and looks like it is leaking there. If it is supposed to have hyd fluid looks like someone put something thicker in it. I may be in for replacing a bearing and seal there. Do you know or anybody else know if this will be a major job ?

Thanks !

Follow Ups:

[Reply]  [Send Email]

12-30-2000 15:38:51

Report to Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Case 580 SE, What type of hydrolic fluid in reply to IC, 12-30-2000 13:21:07  
That little drive shaft can be taken out easily,
to replace the seal on the front of the rear end.
There is a seal on the parking brake assembly
below the driveshaft seal that could be leaking
also.The oil your seeing is not hydraulic,but
heavier gear oil from the rear end.The tranny
and hydraulic as well as the brakes use the
same oil,not the rear end.

Follow Ups:

  [Reply]  [No Email]

12-30-2000 16:28:21

Report to Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Case 580 SE, What type of hydrolic fluid in reply to RayE, 12-30-2000 15:38:51  
Thanks RayE,
The gear oil looks milky like it has a little water in it. Is there any way for water to get in that you know of ? What you are telling me sure has made me feel better, I was thinking I had a serious problem in the hydrolic system.

Follow Ups:

  [Reply]  [Send Email]

12-30-2000 17:07:27

Report to Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Case 580 SE, What type of hydrolic fluid in reply to IC, 12-30-2000 16:28:21  
Oil can get like that over the years if it hasn't
been changed.Condensation forms inside the rear
end housing when temps. change and the oil
absorbs this moisture turning a tan color.I
don't think there is any way for water to get
in as this is a closed system.There should be
a plate over the rear end you can take off if
you want to look inside.I always take this off
to check the gears and to get it clean inside
before i install new oil.

Follow Ups:

  [Reply]  [No Email]

[Show Entire Topic]   [Options]  [Printer Friendly]  [Return to Forum]   [Add a Reply]

Hop to:
12-volt conversion kits for the following Ford models: 9N, 2N, 8N, NAA/Golden Jubilee, 600,601 series, 700,701 series, 800,801 series, 900, 2000, 3000, 4000. Contains parts and instructions for updating older 6-volt tractors to 12-volt charging system.    [Click here to visit this Sponsor]


Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and
content, without written permission is strictly prohibited.
Copyright © 1997-2013 TodaysTractors.com

Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others.